Friday 27 January 2012

Cirque du Soleil: Totem!


Last night I was literally lost for words after seeing Cirque du Soleil: Totem at The Royal Albert Hall. My initial feeling of being slightly inadequate next to the super toned, super flexible, 6-packed (but still skinny?! How do they do that?!) bodies that were flying around on stage soon disappeared, as the only thing to do was stare in awe as the spectacle unfolded.

The theme focuses around the evolution of man and traces the human journey through each act which include everything from cave men and chimpanzees to aliens and nutty professors! With synchronised uni-cycling, trapeze artists, balancing acts, acrobatics, skating and trampolining galore, it was sometimes hard to decide which part of the stage to focus on! In addition to the phenomenal talent of the performers, the music and set design were amazing too, with a transparent trampoline and HUMAN mirror ball!  The only, very small criticism I would make, is that I hadn't realised that the last act was the finale because all of it was so impressive.  I found that I was left wanting more after the final curtain call, but that probably just shows how greedy I am for Cirque!

Totem ends on 16th February, so I suggest you grab those last minute tickets ASAP! Although some of the tickets can be very pricey, The Royal Albert Hall has a very well kept secret. We bought our tickets for the gallery section, and I honestly think it was the best £20 I’ve ever spent. Although it is completely standing, the view from the top is unbeatable and you can really see how high the performers actually go (I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re scared of heights though).

While normally I get performer envy after a show, I think I’d rather sit this one out and watch a woman being swung by her head from a man on skates from a distance thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment