Monday 12 March 2012

Confessions of a Docu-Geek!

Last week, I decided to branch out of my usual channel hopping routine, and came across the wonder of Current TV.  I ended up watching Supersize Me's Morgan Spurlock's list of '50 documentaries you should see before you die', and being a mega docu-geek, I loved it!! So, I've decided to work my way through the list, and will be sure to let you know about any which I think deserve to be seen!  Unfortunately, the majority of them are very America-centric, so once I'm done with these bad boys, I'll be moving on to English/European ones.

I'm only at number 47 and am already seriously impressed.  'One Day in September' (number 47) was particularly mind-blowing.  Not only was it extremely well directed and researched, but it focused on a shocking event which, I'm ashamed to say, I knew very little about. 'One Day in September', directed by Kevin Macdonald, documents the murder of 11 Israeli athletes by Palestinian terrorists at the 1972 Munich Olympics.  The sequential structure of the documentary interspersed with interviews from the victim's relatives, the only surviving Palestinian terrorist (who remains in hiding) and various security and Olympic officials, is mixed with an extremely critical subtext towards the German handling of the tragedy.

It showed the true mark of a great documentary, as I've been thinking about it for days after I've watched it.  So check it out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment